Click HERE to enter the map.
The system includes several navigation features that are similar to popular online mapping sites like Google Maps and Microsoft Bing Maps. The system initially displays a U.S. basemap, and users can select a data layer from the dropdown list on the left-side panel. At a low zoom level the maps displays data at the county level, switching to census tracts as the user zooms in.
Download the codebook for all years here . When the year slider is set to 2010, data are presented from the 2010 decennial census. This includes very few variables. Other variables, such as income and occupation, are provided from the American Community Survey (ACS 2008-2012), shown as "ACS" on the slider. These data are for five years of sample data from the ACS with a 2010 midpoint. Note that similar variables for earlier decades are also from sample data, the one in six sample in each decennial census of persons who completed the "long form" questionnaire.
- Choose a category in the first dropdown list, then choose a variable in the second dropdown list.
- Choose a year in the time-slider bar. The corresponding layer will show on the map, and the layer’s legend will show in the left-side panel under the time-slider bar.
- Click and drag the mouse to pan the map.
- Zoom in: click the zoom in icon, or mouse scroll forward, or SHIFT + Drag the mouse (draw a rectangle).
- Zoom out: click the zoom out icon, or mouse scroll backward, or SHIFT + CTRL + Drag the mouse (draw a rectangle).
- Click the “Select a basemap” to select a basemap in the expanded window, and click the “Select a basemap” again to close the expanded window.
- Type in the “Find address or place” bar to search your address.
- Click a feature on the variable map you choose, and a pop-up window shows its attributes.
- Click “Select an area (Polygon)” at the top-right corner of the webpage, click on the map to start drawing a polygon, double-click to finish drawing the polygon, and a series of features will be highlighted. Click the highlighted features to identify attributes. You can also click “Download Data (Selected area)” to download the attribute table of all highlighted features in a CSV format.
- Click “Reset” at the top-right corner of the webpage to clean highlighted features.
- Click Printer button at the top-right corner of the webpage to print the map.